Chairman of the West-Siberian Law Chamber Council, which unites major law firms in Tyumen.
Head of the Committee on Legal Issues and Legal Defense of Business of the Tyumen Regional Department of Public Organization Business Russia.
Member of the Tyumen Regional Department of the All-Russian Non-Profit Organization Association of Lawyers of Russia.
Member of the Board of Experts under the Tyumen Region Bar Association (representative of the Tyumen Regional Duma).
Member of the Interindustry Expert Council under the Commissioner for Entrepreneurs’ Rights Protection in the Tyumen Region.
Member of the Public Council under the Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Tyumen Region.
Member of the Committee on Settlements of Debt Disputes and Crisis Management under the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Tyumen Region.
1997 – Law Faculty, the Tyumen State University, graduated with honors diploma;
2008 – Master of Business Administration at the Business School of the Open University of Great Britain (held in Non-State Educational Institute of Higher Professional Education International Institute of Management LINK).
Law practice since 1995
Stepan Mataev has more than 20 years of commercial litigation practice, personally handling the most complex litigation disputes.
The managing partner of the firm Stepan Mataev was ranked several times in the
Chambers and Partners rankings in the area General Business Law – Russia Regions. In the Chambers Research 2016 Stepan Mataev was mentioned: «Praised by clients and respected by peers, he is known as a client-oriented, diligent litigator. One interviewee said: «He is able to successfully win the most complicated, drawn-out cases of corporate conflicts».
In 2019 Stepan Mataev was ranked in the rating The Best Lawyers in Russia in the category Bankruptcy and Restructuring.
In 2020 Stepan Mataev was ranked in the rating The Best Lawyers in Russia in the category Insolvency and Reorganization Law
In 2021 Stepan Mataev was ranked in the rating The Best Lawyers in Russia in the category Lawyer of the year/Юрист года в категории Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
One of the organizers of the annual Legal Week of the West Siberian Law Chamber, as well as International Charity Run among lawyers TyumenLegalRun.
Regular member of legal forums and seminars, including the following:
the Annual International Conference IBA Managing a Law Firm, MinskLegalForum, SibLegalWeek, SibLegalForum, seminars by LegalStudies.RU, LegalStratagency Promotion and Sale of Law Service, Customer-Orientation, Individual and Team Effectiveness of Lawyers, Risk Management in a Law Firm, Professional Skills of Legal Correspondence, The Technique of Formalization of Contracts and Legal Negotiations, Fee Policy in Law Practice, Financial Management in a Law Firm: Fees and Billing, Compensational Systems, Profit Distribution, How to Overcome Obstacles: Improving Quality of Decision-Making and Insuring their Implementation in Managing a Law Firm
Stepan Mataev constantly improves his skills and experience in managing a law firm by taking part in international courses and master-classes:
– Personal Effectiveness and Leadership in Law Business (Amsterdam, 2010);
– Planning the Development of a Law Firm for the Next Year (Paris, 2011);
– Law Business in the USA. Managing a Law Firm (California, USA, 2012).
– Strategic Priorities in Law Firm Management (London, 2018).
– Metrics. How to Measure Law Firm’s Success and Sustainability (The Hague, 2019).
In 2014 he got a short-term enhanced training in the Law Institute M-Logos (Moscow) Legal Due Diligence: Purposes, Methods and Effective Technology.
For some years he has been confirming his expert level in arbitration disputes by presenting his reports on novelties in arbitration practice at interregional conferences of the West-Siberian Law Chamber, held in frames of annual Legal Weeks.
– Litigation Practice Tendencies in the Field of Building Contract in 2012//Judicial Practice in Western Siberia;
– Problems of Concluding State and Municipal Contracts on the Examples of Judicial Practice 2013//Judicial practice in Western Siberia
Judicial Practice in Western Siberia is an official periodical of the Commercial court of the West-Siberian District.
For many years of hard work and high professionalism Stepan Mataev was awarded with
– letters of gratitude (Decree of the Chairman of the Tyumen Municipal Duma, 26.05.2014, № 103-p, Decree of the Chairman of the Tyumen Region Duma, 01.12.2014, № 860-rn);
– honorable badge of the Tyumen Region Duma (Decree of the Chairman of the Tyumen Region Duma, 22.05.2017, № 42-rn);
– letter of gratitude from the Tyumen Regional Department of the All-Russian Non-Governmental Organization Association of Lawyers of Russia for his contribution to the development of the Association (2017).